The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation is seeking student members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to apply for the Student Member position on the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
The Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that, through philanthropy, empowers current and future food and nutrition practitioners to optimize global health. The Foundation is exclusively supported by donations and does not receive any portion of Academy member dues.
The nutrition and dietetics student member is elected by the Foundation Board and serves a two-year term. This volunteer position is an excellent opportunity to gain leadership experience and skills in donor relations, fundraising, awarding grants and financial oversight.
- Must be a current Academy-member
- Must be a nutrition and dietetics student enrolled an ACEND®-accredited program during both years of their appointed term (graduation no earlier than 2024)
- Must have flexibility in schedule to attend scheduled quarterly Board calls and meetings
- Having past volunteer experience related or unrelated to food, nutrition, and dietetics
- Having experience organizing and/or participating in philanthropic events or other fundraising activities
Must be an Academy-member, nutrition and dietetics student enrolled an ACEND®-accredited program during the first year of the appointed term (2020-2021 academic year).
As a member of the Board of Directors, the Foundation Student Member will:
- Set organizational direction by sharing expertise and unique perspective as a student.
- Ensure necessary resources to conduct Foundation’s fundraising and programmatic activities.
- Provide oversight for Foundation policies and financials.
- Understand the importance of all sources of funding support to the Foundation.
- Provide a nominal gift to the Foundation.
- Engage members and the public in the Foundation’s work through social media and other platforms.
- Work with Academy Student Advisory Council (SAC) to promote the Foundation.
- Be an active Champion for Foundation activities at the local and national level.
- Participate in one in-person* and quarterly virtual meetings and conference calls.
- Completed application
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or program director
- One letter of recommendation from an individual who has overseen you in a volunteer, leadership, work, or related role
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit all submission requirements within the Foundation’s online application platform by 5 p.m. Central time on Monday, November 15, 2021, to be considered for this opportunity. All application materials must be submitted via the online application. No emailed or hard copy applications or materials will be considered. Questions should be addressed to Foundation Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Student Board Member Application’.
Board of Directors’ Service Commitment
The following serves as a guideline for the time commitment by Foundation Board Members.
Terms of Office
The Student Member of the Board is a two-year term beginning June 1, 2022. With the exception of the Academy President-Elect and the Academy Treasurer, Directors/Officers should not hold an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Commission on Dietetic Registration, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, or an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Political Action Committee office until the completion of their term on the Foundation Board. Members of the Academy Foundation Board of Directors are not eligible to apply for Foundation scholarships, awards, grants or other Foundation funding during their tenure on the Board.
Meetings of the Board
The Foundation Board of Directors conducts one in-person* meeting and quarterly virtual meetings and conference calls. All meeting travel expenses are covered for Board members. Please note that Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ expenses are not covered as there is not a formal meeting of the Board during that time.
*All upcoming Foundation Board meetings are currently scheduled as virtual meetings to safeguard the health and wellbeing of Board members and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Foundation will continue to monitor state and local guidelines and adjust as needed.